MFJ-259B vs. miniVNA vs. RigExpert AA-200

SM7VZX

Hej,

Pratade med Wolfgang på SRSAB, de säljer ej längre MFJ-259B pga dålig kvalíté.
Tittade på WIMO's sidor och hittade miniVMA, samma pris men verkar kan mycket mer och fick tips om RigExpert AA-200 som är likadan instrument, litte högre prisad.

Vilken ska man välja?

De flesta som jag pratat säger att MFJ är teknik från 80-talet medan miniVMA är teknik från 2000-talet?

Ni sam kan och har erfarenhet av dessa, vad NI tycker?

SM7VZX

RigExpert AA-200 är ett toppeninstrument som fungerar utmärkt både hemma och ute. Skyddsväska med genomskinlig plast medföljer vilket gör att det går att trycka på knapparna även om det regnar. Belyst display. SWR-kurvan ger direkt ett svar på var bästa SWR ligger. En annan kul grej är att instrumentet kan sända ut en bip-signal på valfri frekvens med olika intervall beroende på SWR. Dvs man mäter på HELA antennsystemet inkl. nedledning Anslut AA-200 inne i shacket och lyssna med en enkel mottagare i närheten av antennen. Snabbt bip = bästa SWR. Min AA-200 byter jag inte bort. / Lennart

Attachments

• first_aid2.jpg
    first_aid2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1.601
MFJ versus miniVNA

Comparing the MFJ instruments of yesterday with the miniVNA is comparing apples with strawberrys so let me just ignore the MFJ for now.

MiniVNA versus the Rig Expert?

First and very important - Rig Expert is an ANTENNA ANALYZER, not a VNA!

With the miniVNA, you can measure both antennas and transmission lines/filters etc etc.
Both are using the AD8302 detector but as the Rig Expert uses a 9958 DDS with I/Q outputs, the instrument deals with the full 360 degrees phase readings.

The AD8302 is notoriously inaccurate at the edges of the phase range. You don't change this by using a different DDS chip.

For readings up to 160MHz, the miniVNA is the more versatile solution. For readings at 70cm and beyond, the naked minVNA doesn't cover the frequency - you can the add the Extender made vor the miniVNA. This gadget increases the range to 2880 MHz but limits the miniVNA to be an ANTENNA ANALYZER.

Prices? the miniVNA and the Extender is by far cheaper than the Rig Expert.

I've been using the VNA1 and the miniVNA for a long time and I have only recently been able to replace them with the VNWA2.

I use one of the earliest ( No 1 ) Extenders and I'm still impressed by the miniVNA up to 2.5GHz. ( My homebrew miniVNA oscillates at 2550 MHz and I can't find why :( )

But be warned! If you get one of these toys, you can hardly understand how you managed without them...

Summing up:

Price: miniVNA with or without Extender wins on low price.
Versatility: It all comes down to software. Both are good but the miniVNA can measure more than antennas.
Range: Rig Expert covers more but with a higher price.
Accuracy: Similar as they are both based on the AD8302 chip. The Rig Expert covers 360 degrees signed while the miniVNA covers +/- 90 degrees signed and 360 degrees unsigned.
Handling: The Rig Expert wins big. You need a laptop or pda to the miniVNA. But I have to say that the miniVNA is very neat with my little EEEPC900...
Useful in the lab: The miniVNA is a VNA. Useful for filters etc in combnation with the usual antenna readings.

My choice? I'd buy a miniVNA again and I'd combine it with a homebrewed Extender.

//Dan, M0DFI

Back