Antenna material and regulations

SA7DXR

Hej!

I am quite new to Sweden, got my Swedish callsign SA7DXR last November. (Not yet proficient with the language, sorry)
Now moving to a new QTH with a bit more space and increased apetite for better antennas, and I am curious about couple of things:
- Any tips on where to buy aluminium tubes and rods to build HF and VHF antennas?
- Where can I read about regulations and limitations for installing the antennas in own backyard (e.g. max height, what permits are needed etc.)?

Thanks in advance for your time and support!

Goran SA7DXR / YT7AW

Welcome to Sweden and ham.se!
Unfortunately I cannot help very much with either; I quickly googled aluminum tube suppliers but don't dare to recommend any as I don't have first hand experience. Undoubtedly others here can fill in.

With respect to regulations you can (should, perhaps) check with you local "kommun" what antennas are required to have a permit "byggnadslov" and what do not. I seem to recall that "normal" radio masts are exempt, but there are I believe additional rules such as if it falls, it should not hit your neighbor on the head.

I apologize for the non-answers.

In theory, antenna installations "serving only one property" are exempt from building permits, but
the rules are interpreted differently between jurisdictions. You are advised to check with local authorities
what the conditions in your municipality are.

Also, it is advisable to have some idea about the general sentiments about antennas among your neighbours and in the local housing community.

Regarding the aluminium suppliers, it has become quite difficult and also expensive to buy aluminium in smaller quantities as an individual. Usually suppliers require some form of business account in order to buy from them.

You could check with Alutrade in Växjö if they sell in smaller quantities.

If you have a local company called Handelsstål they nowadays sell aluminum to private individuals.

Big thanks to all for usefull answers and links. Much appreciated!
I will explore the options and hopefully get along well with neighbours :)

Since you live in a condominium housing estate, you need to get approval from the Board of
the condominium association. They will quite likely ask the closest or in some circumstances all members,
or even call to a general meeting for deciding the issue.

You should pay special attention to their current interpretation of § 8 of the Bylaws.

1690572540738.png

Be prepared for a lot of questions from the Board and possibly also from your neighbours,
as they are co-owners of the association. A workable approach may be to serve a lot of "Swedish fika"

Since you live in a condominium housing estate, you need to get approval from the Board of
the condominium association. They will quite likely ask the closest or in some circumstances all members,
or even call to a general meeting for deciding the issue.

You should pay special attention to their current interpretation of § 8 of the Bylaws.

View attachment 10355

Be prepared for a lot of questions from the Board and possibly also from your neighbours,
as they are co-owners of the association. A workable approach may be to serve a lot of "Swedish fika"
Thanks for good tips.
We are moving out of condominium to a villa, but fika will definitely be on the menu :)

As the owner of a villa, you have a better standing.
How good will be dependent of the mood of your closest neighbours.

If a building permit is required, the municipality will ask your neighbours if they have
any objections when processing the permit. Legal battles have sometimes resulted from this, and
their outcomes are very difficult to predict.

You should also be prepared to investigate the actual
RFI situation if there are solar power installations
in your house or in the neighbourhood.

Some types of installations have been observed to generate intense RFI in the HF and lower VHF spectrum.

Last edited:
As the owner of a villa, you have a better standing.
How good will be dependent of the mood of your closest neighbours.

If a building permit is required, the municipality will ask your neighbours if they have
any objections when processing the permit. Legal battles have sometimes resulted from this, and
their outcomes are very difficult to predict.

You should also be prepared to investigate the actual
RFI situation if there are solar power installations
in your house or in the neighbourhood.

Some types of installations have been observed to generate intense RFI in the HF and lower VHF spectrum.
Thanks.
So far surprisingly no PV panels in the neighbourhood. I will put up some wire to test rx first.

Your new house looks very nice, having a large plot on the outskirts of the built-up area.
It would be possible to locate an antenna mast at a place which is fairly unobtrusive.

You should however find out the opinions of your neighbours before starting to build, because
they may report your antenna as an "unauthorised building object" which may lead to fines and having to
remove it.

Regarding PV installations, it is a very good idea to have a good picture of what is going on in the area.
Some "cheap" installations were very prone to causing interference, which is very difficult to remove.
The best approach is to be proactive, and gently guide those that intend to build PV systems towards selecting
PV components having good EMC properties. If you intend to install PV yourself, make an "EMC Control Plan", and let it form part of the contract with the supplier.

Properly applied, it can eliminate or at least significantly reduce PV RFI problems. A good way is to investigate if neighbours also are intending to install PV systems. Then you can influence them to build using good components and perhaps also get better prices from group purchases.

Some years ago, I wrote an EMC control strategy aimed at PV installations at airports, which are subject to special rules, and a friend of mine applied the principles behind it when ordering his PV installation. Freedom from RFI in the amateur bands became a condition of contract, and consequently no significant RFI has been detected.

Compared to the situation a few years ago, the RFI from PV installations has improved, but there is still significant room for improvement.

If it's the new address in the callbook it looks more like a "bostadsrättsförening" house than a self owned house.
The "bostadsrättsförening" board may have objections about antennas , transmitters, radiation etc. so it's probably good to have a good
relationship with the board.

- Where can I read about regulations and limitations for installing the antennas in own backyard (e.g. max height, what permits are needed etc.)?
A good source is Boverket. Check out https://www.boverket.se/sv/PBL-kuns...-for-anlaggningar/radio--telemaster-och-torn/ or translate with Google https://www-boverket-se.translate.g...l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=sv&_x_tr_pto=wapp. ( I hope link work). 2011:338 chapter 6 Section 2 have this:
Despite § 1, a building permit is not required to organize, set up, erect, move or significantly change
1. a facility referred to in § 1 4 or 5, if it is a small facility that is intended only for a certain property needs,

I asked Boverket in 2017 what is a "small" tower or mast, could it be compared to a wind power mast, where sizes are given? The answer was that a mast for wind power is a totally different utility, not comparable to a radio mast.

I wish you luck navigating in the law and ordinance archipelagy.
/Jan

Your new house looks very nice, having a large plot on the outskirts of the built-up area.
It would be possible to locate an antenna mast at a place which is fairly unobtrusive.

You should however find out the opinions of your neighbours before starting to build, because
they may report your antenna as an "unauthorised building object" which may lead to fines and having to
remove it.

Regarding PV installations, it is a very good idea to have a good picture of what is going on in the area.
Some "cheap" installations were very prone to causing interference, which is very difficult to remove.
The best approach is to be proactive, and gently guide those that intend to build PV systems towards selecting
PV components having good EMC properties. If you intend to install PV yourself, make an "EMC Control Plan", and let it form part of the contract with the supplier.

Properly applied, it can eliminate or at least significantly reduce PV RFI problems. A good way is to investigate if neighbours also are intending to install PV systems. Then you can influence them to build using good components and perhaps also get better prices from group purchases.

Some years ago, I wrote an EMC control strategy aimed at PV installations at airports, which are subject to special rules, and a friend of mine applied the principles behind it when ordering his PV installation. Freedom from RFI in the amateur bands became a condition of contract, and consequently no significant RFI has been detected.

Compared to the situation a few years ago, the RFI from PV installations has improved, but there is still significant room for improvement.
Thanks a lot for very good tips, especially with EMC control plan! Is there any example available to be seen for reference?
Happy to hear that interference is improving in Sweden. Back home urban areas are quickly becoming pretty much useless for ham radio mostly due to cheap LED or PV...

If it's the new address in the callbook it looks more like a "bostadsrättsförening" house than a self owned house.
The "bostadsrättsförening" board may have objections about antennas , transmitters, radiation etc. so it's probably good to have a good
relationship with the board.
Yes, that is the current home where I keep a low wire just to get on the air without much "noise". Soon moving to the new place.

A good source is Boverket. Check out https://www.boverket.se/sv/PBL-kuns...-for-anlaggningar/radio--telemaster-och-torn/ or translate with Google https://www-boverket-se.translate.g...l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=sv&_x_tr_pto=wapp. ( I hope link work). 2011:338 chapter 6 Section 2 have this:
Despite § 1, a building permit is not required to organize, set up, erect, move or significantly change
1. a facility referred to in § 1 4 or 5, if it is a small facility that is intended only for a certain property needs,

I asked Boverket in 2017 what is a "small" tower or mast, could it be compared to a wind power mast, where sizes are given? The answer was that a mast for wind power is a totally different utility, not comparable to a radio mast.

I wish you luck navigating in the law and ordinance archipelagy.
/Jan
Thanks a lot for this useful link Jan.

Back